Taigh Mairi Anndra is a romantic, traditional croft cottage for two. This South Uist holiday cottage is ideally situated for exploring the Isle of South Uist and it’s neighbouring islands in the Outer Hebrides.
Taigh Mairi Andra is a one-bedroom thatched cottage which has been restored from a ruin to offer a luxury holiday hideaway which is perfect for a couple.
The restoration consists of a traditional thatched roof made from rushes and the original stone walls of the Hebridean croft cottage. The cosy cottage is made up of an open plan kitchen/living room with a bathroom and one bedroom.
This romantic retreat is set in a rural location on a traditional working croft in the village of North Glendale, on the eastern side of the Isle of South Uist in the Outer Hebrides. The holiday cottage’s location means you have stunning views to enjoy. Look out over the hills or to the shore heading out to the Minch. The nearest beach is only a 10-minute drive away and the Isles of South Uist and North Uist have so many more amazing beaches to explore.
Taigh Mairi Anndra & Margaret Fay Shaw
Margaret Fay Shaw, Gaelic folklorist and collector of traditional Gaelic music, stayed at Taigh Mairi Anndra with the MacRae sisters. She collected and transcribed Gaelic songs from South Uist for her book Folksongs and Folklore of South Uist.
- washing machine and tumble dryer,
- fridge / freezer
- outdoor washing line
- electric heating throughout the cottage
- bath and shower
- DVD player
Plan your trip to South Uist
- Maps of South Uist are available from Ordnance Survey or Amazon.
- The Outer Hebrides: 40 Coast and Country Walks (Pocket Mountains) – this book covers Barra to Lewis and includes the Isle of South Uist. Read our review of our favourite walk books.
- Find out about Hebridean Jewellery on the Isle of South Uist and some other Scottish jewellery designers
Maria’s Local Tips for holidays on the Uists
Maria, owner of Taigh Mairi Anndra, took some time to share with us her top tips for things to see and do on the Uists.
Interested in advertising your holiday business on our website? Please contact us.